Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Friends of mine

Yesterday was Kati's birthday, and as she's a new friend, I went out with her and Frown to celebrate... well as much as I could celebrate anyways, seeing as I had to update the comic today, so it was an early night for me. But still, it was fun for a bit, got to play pool, and she was one of the few to get a free issue of BadBlood #1. I'm such a sucker XD

So this brings up the topic of friends. I've had few over the years, and none from my past have withstood the test of time. Not that it makes me sad, nor am I heartless about it. It's just that we've always gone our seperate ways after a while.... though it seems I'm usually the one to move on first, and usually through a change of pace, setting, or city.

Like my buddies from the teen years, Jeremy and Carmen.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We were inseperable, as in this pic (shortly after I first had to get the dreaded glasses, 1988 or so) at a birthday party for one of Carmen's relatives where we were forced to sit and eat cake before running out to do whatever it was we had been planning before we'd been interrupted (usually music shopping).

I had meet Carmen in my pre-teens while out bike riding around the neighborhood. She was also bike riding, and she just stopped and asked my my name... which usually ends in an akward silence as they try and figure it out, but she just blurted out her name in return and asked if I wanted to be friends. What a shocker. Turns out she lived right down the street. And she also liked horses. I'd already been an avid collector of Breyer Model Horses and she had one already also... so then began the 'arms race' if you will to see who could get the most horses. It ended disaterously when she took and hid one of my first and finest, and for a few years I couldn't even talk to her.

In 1987 though I ran into her at a Duran Duran concert and we once again struck up a friendship that lasted pretty much until I moved to Seattle.

As for Jeremey he and I had one of those strange friendships that started out because we were both picked on and bullied at school, that is, until we both found someone on which to pass the buck. Being a school bully is not something I'm proud of... and it did have negative consequences for the kid who was our primary target... or, at least as I eventually heard... ...but anyways, after I left school I kept in touch with Jeremy via phone, and eventually once he got his license to drive he'd visit all the time with his other friend Brian. Those three became the core group of friends for the rest of my stay in Sacramento. We'll be seeing more photos with them as we go along. Aren't you excited? XD

~Liriel

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

friend n.
1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.


______________________________________
*trying to withstand the test of time*
______________________________________

I will admit however, that some friends make it difficult :( ... fill you in later.

It may have been a short night for you but it was great to have you out! Glad to see the update didn't suffer, and you even got a killer vote bonus in! hehheh, looks like Tuesday nights are a party night from now on ;)

3:47 AM  
Blogger Ethan said...

Manders: I live to inspire ;)

Frown: Ha, yeah right, partying Tuesday nights will not become a regular occurance, the RedRums and Cokes did not help me sleep and I was pretty tired most of yesterday XP

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home