Thursday, April 28, 2005

Get off the damn highway!

Wow, man, it's kind weird to realize how far the web has come in the years since I first leapt on it.... nothing gives a good reminder like trying to cruise the information super-highway with a near model-T relic of a machine.

I got a good 7-hour look at my mom's newly purchased used iMac; a G3-640 Mhz with 320 MB RAM... not that bad really, but it's the OS 9.0.4 that kills it... like trying to get the poor thing a decent browser... of course Firefox doesn't go back that far, and nether does Opera (as far as I can tell... someone should tell Opera that their website sucks on sys req info), so that left the retro versions of IE and Netscape that the box came with... eesh -- can't trust IE as far as I can throw Microsoft, and Netscape is like a CSS retard.

Of course that doesn't cover the fun with javascript links that won't work no matter what browser you got (that's what took the most time, trying to get a printer driver the really round-about-way), heh, yeah... lot's of fun. What was frustratingly funny was I couldn't even bring up the sites I wanted to show her for getting her business started, like GoDaddy.com, PayPal, etc -- ha! fat chance...

She is able to return the machine (minus 20%), but it was the best used one they had... and frankly she can't afford much more then what she already spent... and well, I told her she can come use mine when she had a problem site to use. So hopefully this'll still work out.

Speaking of which, here is my mom and I (circa 1982-3 I think...):



Gotta love the forgotten crap stuffed under the couch -- LOL~ That and my lame attempt at trying to dress like a chola to fit in with girls at school (this was in Sacramento), I soon realized I'd never fit in though, and lived fairly happily ever since ^_^

~Liriel

4 Comments:

Blogger Ethan said...

Well yeah even if you dress like them they'll still just know you aren't one of them. It's all in the eyes. Too sharp and you're out.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so HOT! You trendy little thing! :D

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opera has their system requirements online. It seems anything after Opera 6 won't run on OS9.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Ethan said...

ahHa! Thank you anonymous~! :D

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home